Tuesday, January 01, 2008

taiwan

This is an overdue post, not a New Year post.

Because of this trip, I missed Christmas, and by the time I came back, the season was over. So it felt weird, not feeling any of the atmosphere over the period but having a bit of it in Singapore before the trip. They don't really celebrate Christmas in Taiwan, just observe it quietly.

This Taiwan trip, organised by Ta Yi was fun in its own way. Mainly it was due to bonding time among us cousins. The trip itself was really a rush, it was a summary of the highlights in Taiwan in 8 days, so there were a lot of bus rides and not much time to relax in one place and explore.

There are some places with really nice or interesting scenery, like pebble beach and mushroom rocks. Over the trip, we visited two huge malls, but I didn't do much shopping there. One of the malls was the one at Taipei 101, currently the tallest building in the world.

I never really took to the Taiwanese food well although there were okay food in most places, and I didn't dare to try the stinky tofu. But the street food is really nice. Shihlin XXL chicken and milk tea! Also tried the fried ice cream and the Turkish ice cream; which is very sticky so the stall owners play with your ice cream before you buy it. On the last night I got to eat Dunkin Donuts munchkins and KFC eggtarts too.

The hotels were good, all had HBO and movies and stuff, although some didn't have good reception. So every night we watched a lot of movies, including many Steven Chow movies, plus other funny ones and other nice movies too, in addition to the poker games (without real money, of course).

On a few of the long bus rides, I got addicted to Da Xian's handphone games, and more amazingly, started to listen to the chinese music in Ling Yong's iPod. And I found it really pleasant to listen to, although I didn't understand what was being sung most of the time. I think I shall start listening to Chinese music. You wouldn't have caught me saying this a few months ago, haha.

On the flight to Taiwan, I watched Simpsons and High School Musical 2 (which I didn't watch when it came out) and planned to watch Hairspray on the way back. But the return flight didn't have Hairspray, so after watching half and hour of House, which suddenly became wonky therefore making it unwatchable, I decided to find another movie. Not wanting to watch Rush Hour 3, I decided to try Secret. And I realised what I've missed out a few months ago when everyone kept talking about it and playing its songs. I really liked it. Too bad the hype is over now.

Haha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home