Wednesday, August 09, 2006

41st Birthday Bash

On Tuesday (yesterday) I was walking home feeling all cynical about celebrations, the whole wayang of all these. I had this thinking that celebrations are all just a waste of resources and can be put to better use. Propaganda for the mindless proletariat, for the hoi polloi, was what I was thinking. I guess one reason for that was the whole spirit at the National Day celebrations in our school.

But it was today, after watching the parade on TV; oh man.

Singapore is a wonderful place, with wonderful people. The parade showed me that even if it could have been a wayang, it was a wayang for a cause. No holds barred in this case. We were proud of our country, and we just celebrated. Looking at the TV, away from the action, yet the national spirit was vicarious, I felt real pride, for something even as big as a country, albeit a small one.
Man, I keep on using so many John terms.
If it was propaganda, if it was all an act, I was convinced anyway.

I am Singaporean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home