Wednesday, April 12, 2006

it's not about the rank.

it never was.

A few weeks ago it was a time when I was antagonising about rank, and all that stuff. Though now I have been promoted, I just already before I realised that rank is but something material. Even before Calvin's email.

It was during my PFM duty, I had to do marshalling for junior AQ. During lunch, I was eating with the people that I had worked with at my station, one of them was a CLT from Temasek Poly. While talking over lunch, he told us he was a just a SGT when he was released. Apparently he was supposed to be promoted, but there was a delay or something until his passsing out.

It occured to me that this person is a CLT, someone who comes back to serve in the BB, doesn't mind helping out in events, does it with joy, not tired with serving in BB during the council years, as you tend to do, and not concerned over rank. To him, rank was just something that came along.

Like a bolt from the blue.

I remember the last saturday when I came home and unpacked my bag, took out the rank, glanced at it, and tossed it in the cupboard. Having it now over not having it before didn't make any difference. Sure, I was happy, but it was only short term.
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."
-Matthew 6:19-20

Character, not rank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home