Monday, June 05, 2006

Question

Why do people sometimes just suddenly shave their hair?

First let us talk about hair. Hair is not just something growing out of your head as it seems to be. It plays a great psychological role in fact. Why there is such thing as hair products, other than shampoo, is clearly a great sign of the part hair has to play in human society. Most humans have styled their hair it seems, since very long ago, instead of just letting it loose.

When you shave your hair, it seems, you are letting go of this item on yourself which you can "show off" with. You can't just get it back again, it has to grow back over a painfully long period of time.

So,
why do people sometimes just suddenly shave their hair?

After much thought, I concluded that it was because shaving hair shows that you have confidence. The lack of hair, it seems, can attribute to some people's lack of self-confidence. While the presence of well styled hair that everyone can admire is something that can provide you confidence.

Take that Singapore Idol guy, Paul Twohill for example. His hair is already characteristic of him, one detail which everyone remembers.

Among people who deliberately shave their hair (not counting those that are going to NS or are doing it for attention) are monks. Monks are meant to be undistracted by the world, and this hair, is to them such an uneccessary distraction.

I believe that people who can exude true confidence, are those that can shave their head deliberately. You sometimes have to admire them. Which is why I noticed most students who try this stunt do it in a group; you get more confidence when everyone does it, you know? ("groupie mentality" haha).

This case holds true especially for women, I feel. Their hair is even more of symbol to them then us men. Which is why when Natalie Portman shaved her hair, for V for Vendetta, it was a shock, but it showed to us that she dared to do what others don't really dare to.

-------

Why did I think of such a question?

I recently went to cut my hair as I had to go for some BB thing, and we were required to keep short hair, which were not touching the ears, blah. So I went to EC House at Pasir Ris MRT, and the incompetent woman couldn't cut the hair the way I wanted it, giving excuses. I felt rotten after leaving the shop and was very angry with her.

After I got home, still fuming, suddenly I wondered why I got so worked up over something like HAIR. It's only hair. I cooled down and realised I was acting pretty irrational. On the way to church, on the long bus ride, I was just thinking about the significance of hair, thus I thought of such a question, then pondered over it.

Remember to relax, especially over trivial matters.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home